Using the restricted use Add Health dataset (N = 7,196), this project studied how adolescent bonds predict the likelihood of latent class membership on various depressive symptoms trajectories, using a latent class growth analysis with an accelerated design. Results show two trajectories of depressive symptoms: one characterized (83%) relatively low, stable depressive symptoms over time, and the other (17%), moderate, fluctuating symptoms. Higher parent-child bond and higher school bond were related to a greater likelihood of being on the low-level stable trajectory. Friend bond was not significantly related to the likelihood of being on either trajectory. Clinical implications, of which adolescent bond relationships that could affect the trajectory of depression over time are targeted, are discussed.
|Journal||Journal of Child and Family Studies|
|State||Published - Sep 10 2019|