A behavioral landscape perspective on silcrete use in hunter-gatherer lithic technologies along the Southern High Plains Eastern Escarpment of Northwestern Texas (USA)

Stance Hurst, Eileen Johnson, Doug Cunningham

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Scopus citations

Abstract

Ogallala Formation layers and clasts of silcrete, locally known as Macy silcrete, are documented throughout an 83,000-acre research area located along the Southern High Plains eastern escarpment in northwestern Texas (USA). A behavioral landscape perspective has been used to determine how silcrete was incorporated into hunter-gatherer lithic technologies. Results demonstrate that 80% of the silcrete was flaked for making unifacial tools for on-site use. The remaining 20% of the silcrete, however, is transported for continued manufacture and use at other places on the landscape. The behavioral landscape perspective and lithic catena methodology used in this study are important for delineating multiple patterns of lithic use strategies.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)528-538
Number of pages11
JournalJournal of Archaeological Science: Reports
Volume15
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 2017

Keywords

  • Huntergatherers
  • Lithic technology
  • Silcrete
  • Southern high plains

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'A behavioral landscape perspective on silcrete use in hunter-gatherer lithic technologies along the Southern High Plains Eastern Escarpment of Northwestern Texas (USA)'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this